01 Oct Fernando Temprano
Fernando Temprano is a Doctor in Chemical Sciences from the Autonomous University of Madrid (1985) and a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from INSEAD / Euroforum (1998-1999) with more than 30 years of experience in research and technological development, in the public sector and in the private sector, particularly related to the chemical, oil & gas and energy sectors, as well as the impact of emerging technologies and particularly digitization in other industrial sectors.
From 2007 to 2017 he was Director of R&D / Technology at Repsol, with global responsibility in this area.
From that position, he has promoted the transformation of R & D & I activities, both in terms of the content of the portfolio and the organization itself and the collaboration models, in order to launch new technological lines to prepare the company for the challenges of the Energy Transition, seeking technological leadership in selected areas. For example, energy storage, new materials and nanotechnology, artificial intelligence for optimization of complex systems, new technologies for mobility or biotechnology. Getting to become in a short period of time (less than five years) a reference in these areas and a preferred partner for institutions such as the “Watson R&D Center of IBM”, the “Barcelona Supercomputing Center”, “Honda Racing Corporation”, or Harvard University.
Before that position, he held others, among which it is worth mentioning:
• Director of Technology for Exploration & Production and Gas at RepsolYPF (2005-2007), creating RepsolYPF’s R&D portfolio for E&P and Gas as well as a new high-performance team.
• Director of Technological Planning and Strategy at RepsolYPF (2001-2005), in Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Madrid (Spain).
• Director of the RepsolYPF Technology Center in Argentina, 2001-2003, La Plata (Argentina).
• Manager of the Specialties R&D Portfolio, R&D Project Leader and Researcher at Repsol, (1989-1999).
• Product Manager for clay specialties (Commercial Department) and Researcher (R&D Department), at Tolsa, an international mining company (1987-1989).
• Assistant Professor and Researcher, Department of Organic Chemistry, UAM, 1980-1986
Additionally, he has been Chairman of the Board of Directors of NEOL Biosolutions SA, member of the Executive Committee of ALINNE (Spanish Alliance for Research and Innovation in Energy), member of the Boards of Trustees of ICIQ (Catalan Institute of Chemical Research), of IREC (Research Institute in Energy in Catalonia), and IMDEA Nanoscience as well as a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the CSIC, external advisor to the Secretary of State for R & D & I for the development of the Spanish R&D Strategy (2012). He is also a member of the organizing committee of Madrid AquaEnergy Forum (2018-19-20) and has been coordinator of the report “Digitization of the Energy Sector” (Enerclub 2020).
Likewise, he has given numerous conferences at professional events, congresses and universities, including some of the most prestigious institutions in Europe and America. Examples include:
• Innovation and Value; the 2001 EIRMA Annual Conference, Stockholm, Sweden;
• Oil & gas technology; IAPG, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2002;
• Talent and innovation in the challenges of the future; University-Company Awards; Madrid, 2011.
• Appearance at the Climate Change Commission of the Congress of Deputies, Madrid, February 28, 2013.
• Energy transformation; Orkestra-Basque Institute of Competitiveness, Bilbao, 2015.
• Integration of water and energy, planning model systems. Enabling Resiliency in Energy, Water, and Food Systems for Society, The University of Arizona, April 15-17, 2015 / Biosphere2.
Since 2017 he has been a partner and co-founder of Talantia, a technology startup for the environment.
Currently he also advises various Spanish and international companies and institutions on innovation, strategy and business transformation, prospects and future trends in relation to energy and industry.